Friday, June 29, 2007

If they lose they should kill themselves!

The U.S. played Argentina in futbol (soccer) last night in the Copa America. The general response to folks here was -- well, it was something like a collective yawn. I tried to get some guys together to watch the game. Usually a national team game is an easy excuse to get some beers (and Fernet). But this game didn't really register. The only response I got from folks was that it wasn't going to be much of a game. Hence, "If they lose, they should kill themselves."

And, after looking at ESPN.com and Foxsports.com this morning, it looks like they were right. ESPN says "US Outclassed by Argentina", Foxsports says "Class is in Session."

Normally this wouldn't bother me. My football starts with 350 lb. men who run at sprinter speeds and have the IQ of my old tennis shoe.

But two things kind of got to me this time. One - the newspapers down here are talking about how bad Argentina played. I mean they were behind for 11 whole minutes and the final score was ONLY 4 - 1. You would think they were blown out from a World Cup game. Two -- Janalee's kid was cheering for Argentina. She thinks it was great.

It seems to me that we work on this sport some. Doesn't every kid in the suburbs of every city in the U.S. play this crazy game? Can't we find 23 athletes who are willing to give up the outrageous salaries of the NBA and NFL to play soccer? Where are the sports patriots (asks the guy who is an ExPat)? Maybe Beckham can save us. Oh yeah, he is English -- so much for that idea.

1 Comments:

At 1:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Janalee (and Vince!):

I found your blog via google and my jaw dropped at your adventure. How fun!! I've read several of the entries. You look great!

I hope all is well:

my e-mail: matt041566@yahoo.com

Your old forensics friend (from high school and U.S. Colorado),

Matt skurdahl

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home