Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Cycle of Life......

For me (Jan writing now, not Vince… though I’m sure you will be able to figure that our in about two more lines), one of the things I love most about living here is our connection to the land--the soil, the grapes, the seasons, and the ways in which they connect us to the cycle of life. (Is anyone else feeling the urge to sing the theme to the Lion King? VM).

This is the second year we’ve celebrated Mia’s birthday abroad. Last year our Argentine friends asked us if we found a place to have the party, wanted to rent a moonbounce, etc. We said, “What? Are you kidding? She’s only four… we’ll have a fun party in the back yard! All we need are a few kids, a cake and some balloons.” Then, we began to attend Mia’s friends’ parties. We clearly misunderstood Argentine birthday norms. So, this year, we went all out -- depending on who you asked, we probably barely managed to pull off a reasonable facsimile of a birthday party como Mia’s amigos -- complete with a jugador (an entertainer), a giant cake for the 40 + kids in attendance, empanadas, tea sandwiches… and a piñata! I must admit; it was great fun!

This is also our second year to celebrate the harvest in Mendoza. Since the Vines of Mendoza team has grown from about 35 last year to almost 60 this year, it was a huge celebration. We picked about a hectare (just over 2 acres) of grapes in about 10 minutes -- OK, it took a little longer than that, but not much! -- and then enjoyed an asado in the vineyards, prepared by Marcelo our new Chief Financial Officer.

Mia left for home covered in dirt and grape juice, as did many of our staff members. A perfect day!

2 Comments:

At 12:15 PM , Blogger jammer said...

Hi, thanks for your comment sent to us through the Expat-Argentina blog. I am very familiar with your wife's firm vines of mendoza. We used their winery guide to help us when we were last there, and have been regulars of their site too. We would be eager to add you to our panel of people 'walking the walk & talking the talk!' We just bought this blog & are bringing a few changes to the site; mostly new content in all areas of an expat's experience at once (not just following one persons linear experiece), we plan on doing that by using multiple contributors. We also plan on writing about more than just BA. Send me an email at expatargentina@gmail.com and we can stay in touch. We will certainly look you up when we get there, but ideally we would like to shoot a question or two your way prior to getting there. Regards, Jammer

 
At 12:24 AM , Blogger Carmel said...

Hi-

I currently live in Chicago and am in the research phase of moving to Mendoza. I am trying to see if this is something I can actually do. I am very interested in starting a conversation with you to discuss your experience with the move, adjusting to Mendoza, etc. I have been to Mendoza twice in the last 4 months as I just love it there! I have been to the Vines of Mendoza twice also. What a great place. I'd love to talk to your wife about what she is doing there, etc. I have a long list started of questions/concerns about making such a move. I'm sure there are many other topics I haven't even considered yet. Would you please contact me so I could get some very valuable advice and learn from your experience? I want to know it all! The good, the bad, and the ugly....though I'm betting it's all pretty good. My email is carmelc2000@yahoo.com. I hope you'll write. I look forward to it.

Thanks!

Carmel

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home